Book Review | Cupcakes At Carrington's By Alexandra Brown


A slightly different post for you all today. I love reading, I always have, there's nothing better than having a nice relaxing evening curled up on the sofa with a good book and a cup of tea. I can safely say it's been a long while since I read a good book......that is, until now. I wanted to do a review and share this book with you. 


The Blurb:
Georgie Hart loves her job – running the luxury handbag concession at Carrington's Department store in the pretty seaside town of Mulberry-On-Sea, and treating herself (once too often!) to a red velvet cupcake with buttercream icing in Carrington's café.

But Georgie is thrown into disarray when Carrington's is plunged into a recession-busting makeover, cueing the arrival of femme fatale Maxine, who wields the axe in her immaculately-manicured hands.

It spells a recipe for disaster for Georgie and soon she is fighting not only for her job, but also for the attentions of her gorgeous boss, James. And when hot newcomer Tom arrives, who may or may not be the best thing since sliced bread, Georgie must decide where her loyalties really lie…

Well, what can I say about this book?! I came across it by chance while I was browsing Amazon for some new books for my Kindle and boy, am I glad I did. This just so happens to be author Alexandra Brown’s debut novel and is the first in a series of Carrington's books. The book is so well written and the story is just too good to put down once you've started, it only took me a couple of days to finish this one. It has characters that everyone can relate to or knows in real life.

The Review:
  Cupcakes at Carrington's follows the story of Georgie Hart, a sweet natured twenty-something with a penchant for luxury bags and an incurable addiction to red velvet cupcakes with butter cream icing and sprinkles. It's great to come across a heroine who loves her job, and boy does Georgie love hers. I mean wouldn't you if you were blooming good at what you do?!! She runs the Women's Accessories department at Carrington's and frankly, I know how she feels, I used to LOVE to caress the lush new handbags and smell the newness on them when they arrive into work.

Everything seems to be going her way, well that is, until disaster strikes and the perfect job is turned into a helpless pursuit to fight for her job. Enter the man-eater, Maxine. Stuck-up and a horrendous cow (I'm pretty sure we all know one of those women!) Putting everyone's job at stake and making life working at Carrington's a living nightmare with her manipulative ways, making sure everyone suffers in the process. And then there's Tom. Ah, the heart throb. What is a book without the heart throb?! Handsome, flirty and utterly delicious Tom. You'll have to read the book to find out what happens because I really don't want to give too much away.

Georgie Hart is such a lovely, girl-next-door, sweet kind of heroine. She's friendly, she gets on with anyone who is everyone, well except certain people. She's such a wonderful character and is the kind of person I'd love to have as a best friend. I can imagine us having a good gossip at Cupcakes at Carrington's, along with Eddie and Sam eating red velvet cupcakes and drinking milky tea (or in my case a green tea). I loved how I could relate to her from sharing her breathtaking heart skips a beat moments to the heartbreaking stabs of her past. Although this is a feel good, fun book there are some heartbreaking parts that would make you want give your heart out to Georgie. 

I absolutely LOVED the characters in this book and getting to know them all throughout the book makes them even more REAL than they are. It certainly wont get boring and you'll meet such colourful characters. Then there's Eddie, Georgie's GBF (Gay Best Friend) and I instantly fell in love with him! Every girl needs an Eddie in their lives, I sure know I do! He's smart, adorable and after reading the first chapter you'll know why I fell in love with him! Of course I can't forget Sam, Georgie's best girlfriend! I'm happy to say that I have a Sam in my life and I'd be lost without her. Even though she is wealthy she never let's it get in the way of things. She works hard and I admire her for not wanting to be like some of the spoilt rich kids that are out there. There's the gorgeous knicker-ripping handsome men, but I'll let you read all about those so you can experience the stomach flips, fireworks and of course the red-faced moments all us women have experienced.

I loved the fact that the book was set in the quaint, picturesque seaside town Mulberry-on-Sea rather than a bustling, busy metropolitan London. The book was so well written and the plot carried me throughout the book. I could forget about my life and dive wholeheartedly into Georgie's and fall in love with the characters and Carrington's.

This has to be one of the best books I've read in such a long time and I can't wait to dive in Georgie's world again and find out what else has been happening. Alexandra Brown has definitely become one of my favourite authors and I look forward to seeing more from this fabulous writer. I absolutely loved it and I know if you're a fan of chick lit then you'll love it too! 

This book is available to buy here for your Kindle. I highly recommend you get yourself a copy and have a read of this great book.

Have you read this book?? Have you read any of the authors other books?? What did you think?? 

Lots of Love 
Follow

Labels: , , , ,